Friday, June 22, 2018

Who Killed Mavis Beacon – The Lynchian Games Of David Lynch Teaches Typing & Black Lodge 2600


If you don’t know or don’t like David Lynch, I just don’t know what to do with you. He is a master of surreal, avaunt-garde works that somehow has proven mainstream appeal. Which I believe we all can agree kind of shouldn't happen. He’s a filmmaker, writer, visual artist and musician whom in my opinion has never created anything without merit.

Yes, even this one.


One medium Mr. Lynch has never tackled is video games. There are many great games that share his themes or take heavy influence from the man’s work. I’m sure I will spotlight a few of these in the future but today we will focus on two of the smaller releases that make direct reference to him and his works.

I’ve got some things to say about you, Deadly Premonition. But that’s for another time.


Let us start with the edu-tainment of David Lynch Teaches Typing


David Lynch Teaches Typing


 

Allow me to be honest with you. I cannot type. My typing skills can be best described as a disgruntled chicken on a meth binge. So when I first heard of a retro styled typing tutor featuring everyone’s favorite beautifully coiffed surrealist, I thought my dreams had come true. In a way they did. Not the pleasant ones though. More so the fever dreams of an ill-advised Nyquil and Luis Bunuel marathon.

Its starts simple enough, an Apple IIE-esque Lynch appears on screen and introduces himself. Once the games begins, it is incredibly straight forward. Mr. Lynch explains the home row and we follow some very rudimentary instructions. Something tells me it won’t stay that way.

This is the kind of positive reinforcement I need in my everyday life.
Now, I find myself in a delicate situation. I’d love to give you all a full play by play, but David Lynch Teaches typing is a great but very short (e.g. a few minutes) game that I do recommend you experience

But I will tell you this happens.


Black Lodge 2600



Hipsters young and old, rejoice! You can now play out your Dale Cooper fantasies in glorious lo-fi. Black Lodge 2600 is both a love letter to Twin Peaks and the simplified gameplay of the Atari 2600. As opposed to DLTT, this is more of a traditional game experience.

A game with a white horse symbolizing death, just like Grandma used to make.


Black Lodge is definitely more fleshed out. Don’t worry though, it is still strange. I give a lot of credit to designer Jak Locke for the detail that went into this. With era specific box art, cartridge art, and manual, Black Lodge feels complete.

If someone wants to custom load this onto a cart, my birthday is in August. Just sayin'.

You play as Agent Dale Cooper trying to escape the Black Lodge. Starting in the Red Room, you meet The Little Man From Another Place whilst a chiptune version of “Sycamore Trees” plays. Throughout the game you will encounter Leland Palmer, Laura Palmer, and Killer Bob all while being pursued by The Doppelganger as you attempt to find your way out.

This game is quite fun and due to it’s simple Atari nature, its necessarily replayable (translation: You will die a lot and I don’t know if there is a proper ending.) Black Lodge 2600 is definitely a recommend for both Twin Peaks and retro game fans.

Ultimately, both titles are labors of love to Lynch and his oeuvre that I feel succeed in their missions. Since all these games will cost you is time, I recommend you give them a play. You can snag them at the links below.




Until next time.



1 comment: